Contact Us: (815) 626-1131
4 Ways to Get Help Paying for Cremation Services
In our modern society, simple cremations can cost a lot of money. The basic cremation cost not including any service or memorial. With price tags going so high, its no wonder that people are looking for help paying for cremation services in Rock Falls, IL and the rest of the country.
The following is a list of 4 ways you can get help paying for a loved one’s cremation. Use any of these 4 ideas themselves, or take inspiration.
1. Preplanning - Check the deceased’s papers and information to see if they made any plans to help pay for their cremation. They might have put in place things such as:
- Prepaying programs
- Funeral insurance
- Life insurance
- Payable-on-death bank account
Any of the above can help cover the funeral costs.
2. Fund Raising - Don’t be afraid to ask for help from your community, neighborhood, friends or other family. You’d be surprised how quickly people will chip in. Get creative with fund raising like:
- Car washes or bake sales
- Church groups or donations
- Memorial funds at the deceased’s workplace or bank
- Crowd funding websites like GoFundMe.com or GiveForward.com
Social media is also a great tool to make your need known and get more people involved.
3. Government Assistance - Local, state and even federal government programs can help pay for funerals and cremations. Check with your local social service, county treasurer, or public fiduciary to see if any systems are in place. These programs have varying requirements, especially since local government budgets are tight and they are making such programs more difficult to qualify for. Be sure to double check that you are eligible.
The Social Security Administration can also provide assistance. Call to report a death and you may be eligible for a lump sum of $225 or other survivor benefits. Other federal programs that can help include:
- The Bureau of Indian Affairs
- The Railroad Retirement Board
- Veteran’s Administration
4. Low-Cost Options - If you still can’t get enough funding, there are tons of low-cost funeral and cremation options you can choose from, including:
- Memorial service at home or a community center
- Pot-luck food for the service
- Service at a church or other religious establishment
- Body donation to a medical school or other organization (Science Care is the world’s largest body donor program)
- Direct cremation
- Burial on family or private property
Paying for a cremation can be tough, and there is no shame in asking for help. Use any of the above ideas to get help paying for the cremation for your lost loved one, or get creative with more ideas of your own.
Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation, located at 702 1st Ave Sterling, IL 61081, also offers a wide range of low cost Rock Falls, IL cremation services. Please give us a call today at (815) 626-1131 to learn more.