For Immediate Assistance: (815) 626-1131
Many people want to set up a monument to their lost loved one after a cremation service in Amboy, IL, but can’t afford the more traditional structures. Memorials have long been used to memorialize the deceased. They are usually permanent fixtures like large headstones or statues however, there are other monuments that are just as special but more affordable. This list of ideas for affordable monuments can help inspire you to memorialize your lost loved one:
- Write a Memorial – Even if you’re not a gifted writer, it can still be meaningful to write some kind of memorial for your lost loved one. Try writing a poem, memoir, short story, or even just an essay about how you feel about their life and loss.
- Memories – Your memories of your loved one are always with you and are also completely free. Use your memories as a monument to the deceased by telling stories about them to younger generations and by asking friends, family and other loved ones to share their stories as well. Make these memories more permanent by asking people to write them down in a journey or, for more the more tech-savvy, making a video compilation of them telling their memories.
- Photographs – Everyone has many pictures of loved ones, so it’s easy to use photographs as a monument when someone you love passes away. Simple framed photos and scrapbooks are equally meaningful and help you remember them.
- Cremation Jewelry – Cremation jewelry takes part of the deceased’s cremains and turns it into jewelry that you can wear or carry with you at all times.
- Repurpose Belongings – You can repurpose almost any of your lost loved one’s belongings as memorial. For example, you can turn a shirt or blanket, pillow, or stuffed animal.
- Plant a Memorial Garden – Flowers, trees, bushes and other living things are always a beautiful reminder that life goes on and there can be beauty in the wake of loss. Plant a memorial garden for your lost loved one at home in your yard or work with your local authorities to plant a garden or even a tree in a public place.
- Make a Playlist or Mixtape – Music is very powerful and can help us work through difficult emotions. Make a playlist or a mixtape that reminds you of your lost loved one so you can listen whenever you’re thinking about them or you miss them. Don’t forget to share it with family and friends.
- Give to Charity – One of the best ways to honor the deceased is to help their good legacy live on through charitable giving. Even a small donation will go a long way towards helping a cause that your lost loved one believed in or cared about.
Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation is here to help if you want more tips on memorialization or information on Amboy, IL cremation services. After all, these are just a few of the many ways you can memorialize your lost loved one without spending a large amount of money.