For Immediate Assistance: (815) 626-1131
Buying a Casket for Before a Cremation Service
Though it’s not common, many people do choose to buy a casket for their loved one for a service before a cremation service in Morrison, IL. However, buying a casket can be and expensive. After all, caskets are big-ticket items, come in many different sizes and materials, and have a wide range of features.
Need some help shopping for a casket? These tips are here to help:
- Consider Your Lost Loved One’s Wishes – If your lost loved one left behind instructions or preferences as to the type of casket they want, follow those instructions. Not only will this help honor your lost loved one, but it will also make your job that much easier. If they didn’t leave any instructions, think about their tastes and personality to help narrow down your choices.
- Shop Early – Buying a casket is hard even without adding the additional stress of making the purchase when you have high emotions, are under a time constraint, and are feeling vulnerable after a loss. The best way to combat this issue is to shop as early as you can, whether that means picking a casket before you pass to make the choice easy for your family or moving the task of buying a casket to the top of your funeral to-do list.
- Set a Budget – Caskets can vary widely in price, from a few hundred or thousand dollars to tens of thousands. All these options can be very overwhelming, so its best to start shopping with a set budget in mind. What’s more, you don’t want to overspend and put extra stress on yourself during your time of loss.
- Get Help – You don’t have to shop for a casket alone. In fact, it’s often best to have a shopping companion along to help you make the decision and offer additional support. Also, having someone along to help might also make it easier for you to stick to your budget and request samples or information on lower-priced options. And finally, its’ almost always helpful to talk over the pros and cons of your various options with someone else.
- Know Your Rights – Consumers of funeral home and cremation products have certain rights under federal law. These laws are intended to help protect you from being pressured into buying products you don’t want or need simply because you’re going through a loss. For example, the Funeral Rule requires funeral homes to provide you with transparent pricing. Also, don’t be afraid to ask questions. You need to have all the information before you can make a good decision.
- Take Your Time – While you don’t have all the time in the world to choose a casket, you do have the time to take a step back, breathe, and center yourself if you begin to feel overwhelmed. Oftentimes just taking a quick break can make all the difference.
If you want more information on buying a casket or Morrison, IL cremation services, just reach out to Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation. We’re happy to do whatever we can to help you in your time of loss or of preplanning.