For Immediate Assistance: (815) 626-1131
Choosing the Right Cremation Urn
Finding the perfect cremation urn after a loved one’s cremation service in Sterling, IL can be overwhelming. You are most likely balancing honoring the deceased in the best way possible, finding the right price, and your own grief.
Rather than give up, or let the stress win out, use these tips to help you find the right cremation urn for your lost loved one.
- Think About Urn Use– There are different kinds of urns for different uses. For example, if you’re going to scatter the ashes, you can get a scattering urn. Or if you are going to cast the ashes from an airplane, you need a special airline safe urn. If the urn is going to be displayed outside, you need to be sure you get an outdoor safe urn.
- Size is Key – Urn size varies, and you should consider size when shopping for an urn. If you’re going to display the urn, it should be able to fit in the place in which you want to display it. For example, if you want to place the urn on your fireplace mantle you need to be sure the base of the urn is the right size to fit on the mantle space. Larger urns are better when placed low to the ground, or even on the ground. Be aware of the space and the urn size when shopping.
- Put the Deceased First – Not everyone will have a specific plan laid out for after their death, but be sure to do exactly what your lost loved one laid out if he or she did so. If there is no plan in place, use your best judgement as to what he or she would have wanted. Was the deceased a big gardener, or a fan of protecting the environment? If so, you might want to consider an eco-friendly or garden urn. Was your lost loved one a big golfer? Look into golf-themed urns for a fun twist.
- Material is Important - There are tons of different urn materials including wood, metal, crystal, natural stone, and even glass. You can narrow down your options by considering what material your loved one would value the most, and what material works with what you want the urn to do. For example, an outdoor or buried urn needs to be a different material than an indoor display urn.
- Art is In – Urns can be made as beautiful as any piece or art, and they can range in style from painted and colored to specially molded and shaped. Art urns are also ideal for display, as they lend a unique and personalized air to the memorial.
If you would like more assistance looking for or buying an urn for after your loved one’s Sterling, IL cremation service, Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation is here to help. Your loved one’s urn should be just as unique as your loved one, and we can help y take his or her unique preferences, qualities and interests into consideration. Pease visit us at 702 1st Ave Sterling, IL 61081, or call us at (815) 626-1131.