For Immediate Assistance: (815) 626-1131
The Truth Behind Funeral Home Myths
There are a lot of crazy myths, rumors and urban legends surrounding funeral homes in Sterling, IL. Rather than believe everything you hear or read on the internet, learn the truth about funeral homes. The following list of funeral home myths and their truths can offer some helpful insight and accuracy:
- MYTH: The law requires embalming.
- FACT: The law does not require embalming in most situations. There are some circumstances that vary by state in which embalming is required. However, these are rare.
- MYTH: Funeral home products like caskets and cremation urns have to be bought from the funeral home.
- FACT: There’s actually a law that prohibits that! The Federal Trade Commission’s 1984 Funeral Rule protects consumer’s right to purchase funeral products from any source.
- MYTH: Cremation is the only environmentally friendly alternative to burial.
- FACT: While cremation can be greener than burial, that’s not always the case. There are also lots of other green alternatives out there, and you can choose to have a green burial where there are no embalming fluids, chemicals or unnatural casket materials.
- MYTH: Funeral directors only want to make money.
- FACT: Like any other professional in customer services, from doctors to florists, funeral directors do charge for their services but strive to make those services worthwhile. There are some funeral directors who are “bad apples” but they are few and far between.
- MYTH: Funerals are crazy expensive.
- FACT: You can spend as little or as much as you like when planning a funeral. Services vary in cost depending on location.
- MYTH: A high-quality casket and vault will preserve remains forever.
- FACT: Caskets and vaults that are well made with durable construction and high-tech seals help keep water and dirt out, but they will never stop decomposition entirely.
- MYTH: There are strict laws governing the disposition of cremated remains.
- FACT: Laws about cremated remains vary greatly from state to state, but they only deal with burial or scattering. Some states have regulations on where ashes can be scattered, but there are no federal laws. Be sure to double-check your state’s laws before scattering remains.
- MYTH: The law requires burial vaults.
- FACT: Some cemeteries require burial vaults, but there are no laws that require them. Check with your cemetery to make sure you understand their requirements before the funeral.
- MYTH: Funerals homes are sad, depressing places.
- FACT: While this may have been true in the past, funeral homes have changed a lot. Funerals themselves can be very joyous occasions as loved ones celebrate the deceased’s life. In a typical modern funeral, laughter and music coexist with tears and ritual.
If you have more questions about funeral home myths or would like more information on your options for Sterling, IL funeral homes, Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation is here to help. We have years of industry experience that we would love to put at your disposal. Please stop by and visit us at 702 1st Ave Sterling, IL 61081 or give us a call at (815) 626-1131 to learn more about what we can do for you in your time of loss.