For Immediate Assistance: (815) 626-1131
Everyday Items for Cremation Urns
While there are lots of options for what to do with the cremated remains after a cremation service in Sterling, IL, many people choose to keep their loved one’s cremated remains in a cremation urn.
There are plenty of classic urns to choose from and there are also more unique options that can help your loved one be remembered in a special way, such as everyday items that you might already have at home like:
- Wind Chimes – Think of your lost loved one every time the wind blows. Order a custom wind chime urn online and hang it on a porch, in a yard, or in a window. You can even choose what kind of chime you want, like an alto or soprano.
- Tackle Box –. If the deceased loved fishing, commemorate him or her in a sealed tackle box. Be sure to keep it in a safe place, but don’t forget to bring it out on the water with you the next time you go. You can also display the tackle box urn to remember your lost loved one.
- Holiday Ornaments – A holiday ornament urn is basically just a mini urn that can hang on a Christmas tree. The ornament is too small to hold all the cremated remains, so it’s a good opportunity to make several ornaments for all the family to have.
- Hollowed Books – Hollowed out books aren’t just for hiding secrets or stolen money like in the movies. You can order a custom-made false book or hollow out the deceased’s favorite yourself using a knife and a bit of elbow-grease. Place the ashes inside in a bag and seal the book with glue.
- Plant Pot – You can easily add ashes to an existing planter to act as fertilizer for any kind of plant, be it a young tree, bush or flower. Mix the ashes in with the soil and as the plant grows it will draw nutrients from the ashes to grow big and beautiful.
- Stuffed Animals – Stuffed animal urns are most commonly made for children that have passed away. The stuffed animal is cut in a small opening, the bagged ashes are placed inside, and the animal is resewn.
- Musical Instruments – You can choose almost any kind of instrument, carve out a hollow, and seal some of the cremated remains inside. Brass instruments, guitars and basses are best suited.
- Beer Growler – Perfect for deceased beer lovers, beer growler urns can be custom ordered from most craft breweries. In some instances, you can order a growler with the label listing the deceased’s name.
These are just a few of your many choices for using everyday items as a cremation urn after a Sterling, IL cremation service. Want to learn more about cremation or urns? Get in touch with Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation. You can stop by and visit us at 702 1st Ave Sterling, IL 61081 or give us a call at (815) 626-1131.