For Immediate Assistance: (815) 626-1131
Notifying Institutions and Planning Cremation Services
Monday, June 8, 2020
There is a long list one much accomplish after someone dies, from dealing with the loss to planning a cremation service in Rock Falls, IL. This to-do list also includes notifying organizations, people and businesses of the death, as credit cards, utilities, government programs and other institutions needs to know when someone passes away.
Make sure you don’t miss any important institutions or people on this list of who to notify after a death:
- Credit Reporting Agencies – These agencies are usually notified of a death by the estate executor or the Social Security Administration. It’s important that credit reporting agencies are notified so they can put a lock on the deceased’s credit report file in order to prevent someone from using it fraudulently.
- Subscriptions – Don’t forget to cancel subscriptions like gym, magazines, clubs, online content, and others. This is especially true if the subscription payments are paid automatically every month as you don’t want the deceased’s bank account to be overdrawn.
- Insurance – Notify all the insurance companies with which the deceased had policies. Each company will have specific steps you will need to follow.
- Banks – Most banks will need a copy of the death certificate to close accounts. However, it takes a lot longer than you would think to close bank accounts after a death, so don’t rely on money from a closed account to pay for a funeral or cremation.
- Retirement Fund or Pension – Be ready with the deceased’s Social Security number, identification number, date of birth and date of death, along with a death certificate when you call to notify the fund. Don’t forget to ask if a surviving spouse is eligible for continued benefits.
- Social Security Administration – Luckily, Social Security will be notified automatically when you file the death certificate.
- Taxes – Death doesn’t mean the deceased doesn’t have to pay taxes for that year. A survivor will have to file the deceased’s taxes or will have to hire an accountant to do it for them.
- Medicare and Medicaid – Similar to the SSA, these organizations will be notified automatically.
- Loans and Credit Cards – The Credit Card Act of 2009 mandates that all credit card companies respond to final bill requests in a timely manner and prohibits them from charging late fees during the processing time. Pay back loans from the deceased’s estate.
- Utilities – Cancel or change the name on all utility accounts, depending on if the deceased lived alone or not. Call the electricity, gas, telephone, and internet providers to make the necessary account changes. You will need a death certificate as proof.
- Employer – Contact the deceased’s employer to notify them of the death and to learn about any applicable death benefits, retirement funds, or life insurance. Have a copy of the death certificate ready when you call.
Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation is here to help however we can in your time of loss. We can offer more information on our Rock Falls, IL cremation services as more.
Finding Comfort in Traditional Funeral Services
At Schilling Funeral Home & Cremation in Fulton, IL, one of the trusted funeral homes in Fulton, IL, we understand the importance of finding comfort during times of loss. Our funeral home embra...
How to Help a Grieving Mother
Losing a child never be easy, so it’s natural to want to comfort mothers in their time of grief. How can you support and comfort a mom after her child’s passing and cremation service in Amboy, IL, ...
The Type of Grief You Never Hear About
What happens when you don’t face the loss of a loved one after their funeral home service in Amboy, IL? This common experience is called inhibitive grief, and it can lead to a variety of emotional ...
The Best Thing to Say at a Memorial
Telling someone, “I am sorry for your loss,” after a loss and cremation service in Morrison, IL can feel empty. This is because it’s said so often. But what else is there to say? Here are condolenc...
How to Memorialize with Photos
Memorials are such great ways for us to keep our lost loved ones in our hearts and minds after services at funeral homes in Morrison, IL. There are so many options available for remembrance items: ...
Traveling With Cremated Remains?
If you’re traveling long distances with cremated remains, you might be a bit worried. Whether you're lost loved one is cremated somewhere far away, you’re bringing your lost loved one’s cremated re...
Funeral Pyres and Funeral Homes
You might have seen a movie or a TV show in which people burn the body of a loved one after they die and have a service at a funeral home in Fulton, IL. This is a funeral pyre. Sometimes called op...
Honoring the Deceased with Cremation Ashes
What do you do with your loved one’s ashes after their cremation service in Amboy, IL? People don’t always know what to do with cremated remains, and that’s OK. Deciding what to do with what’s left...
What Are Bereavement Gifts?
Are you wondering how you can comfort someone after a loss and service at a funeral home in Amboy, IL? Try a bereavement gift! Picking out a gift for someone going through a loss can be anot...
Grief After Death
Did you know that the type, length, and severity of grief you feel after a loss and cremation service in Morrison, IL often depends on the relationship you had with the person you lost? It’s true!...